AvMet Applications, Inc.
Associate Scientist / Systems Analyst Position
The successful candidate will be part of a team supporting the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) NextGen Aviation Weather Division in developing and deploying the Next Generation Air Traffic System (NextGen). The candidate will provide meeting support to FAA personnel, including organizing meeting logistics, attending meetings, preparing meeting minutes and reports, coordinating communication among attendees, and maintaining working documents.
In addition, the candidate will conduct analysis of FAA and National Weather Service (NWS) policies, programs, systems, and forecast capabilities. Frequent duties and responsibilities include developing briefings/presentations, preparing project plans and schedules, conducting regulatory, policy, and financial research related to aviation weather and aviation safety, and writing/editing various reports.
The candidate must be detail-oriented, able to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment, and convey a professional image in client meetings.
- M.S. degree in the physical sciences (from an accredited college or university)
B.S. degree in the physical sciences (from an accredited college or university) + 2 years of relevant professional experience*
- Experience providing meeting support, including developing agendas, setting up and operating projection equipment, utilizing virtual meeting applications (e.g., WebEx) taking notes, writing meeting minutes, and tracking action items
- Experience researching, writing, and editing reports and papers
- Experience developing briefings/presentations for a variety of audiences
- Experience conducting quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Interest in and/or knowledge of aviation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Flexibility in managing competing priorities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Outlook)
- Must be legally able to work in the United States without sponsorship
- M.S. in Meteorology (or similar) and 12+ months of relevant professional experience*
- Knowledge of aviation operations (e.g., flight operations, air traffic control, etc.)
- Knowledge of FAA and NWS aviation weather programs
- Knowledge of system engineering principles
- Experience in project planning, schedule development and tracking, and performance measurement
- Federal government consulting experience, particular with the DOT/FAA
- Experience working with aviation stakeholders including associations (e.g., A4A, ALPA, AOPA, IATA, NATA, etc.)
- Private pilot, commercial pilot, air transport pilot, or aircraft dispatcher certificate
*Note: Relevant professional experience must consist of full-time employment that is neither an institutional assistantship nor a co-op position. Full-time internships, paid or unpaid, at both the undergraduate and graduate level, are considered relevant professional experience.
This is an associate-level position located in AvMet’s Washington, DC office.
The position is available immediately with some flexibility in start date. Any offer of employment, including the start date, is contingent upon approval of the candidate’s resume by the FAA.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume as email attachments to Shelia Watson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title in the email subject line.
AvMet provides a comprehensive benefits package to full-time employees. Benefits include the follow:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance*
- Company-paid life insurance
- Paid time off and sick leave
- 401k, with company match*
- 10 Federal Government holidays per year
*portion paid by the employee
AvMet Applications, Inc., (AvMet) is a small, vibrant aviation consulting firm that recently celebrated its 15th anniversary. It is headquartered in Reston, VA with a satellite office in Washington, DC. AvMet specializes in aviation meteorology and provides expertise in program management, system engineering, program analysis, and training. AvMet’s primary business is government contracting and its clients include the FAA and NASA. AvMet staff have a wide range of backgrounds and experience from air traffic controllers and commercial pilots to operational meteorologists and systems engineers.
For more information about AvMet, please visit www.avmet.com.