Dr. Robert G. Ellingson
Professor Ellingson's career has been devoted to teaching and research in the area of physical meteorology - thermodynamics, cloud physics and radiative transfer. The foci of his research activity have been the development of detailed computer models for calculating vertical profiles of terrestrial (longwave) and solar radiation fluxes, validation of the models through comparison of observations with calculations, development of parameterizations of three-dimensional cloud effects on longwave radiation and the application of the developed models to practical problems such as remote sensing of Earth’s planetary radiation budget and simplified methods for performing radiative heating calculations in global climate models. He is the Chair of the Science and Infrastructure Steering Committee of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Atmospheric System Research (ASR) program.
- Taylor, P. C., R. G. Ellingson, and M. Cai, 2011: Seasonal Variations of Climate Feedbacks in the NCAR CCSM3.0. J. Climate, 24, 3433-3444.
- Krishnamurti, T. N., M. K. Biswas, B. P. Mackey, R. G. Ellingson, and P. H. Ruscher, 2011: Hurricane forecasts using a suite of large-scale models. Tellus A, 63, 727-745
- Taylor, P. C., R. G. Ellingson, and M. Cai, 2011: Geographical Distribution of Climate Feedbacks in the NCAR CCSM3.0. J. Climate, 24, 2737-2753.
- Kablick G. P. III, R. G. Ellingson, J. Gu, and E. Takara, 2011: Longwave 3D Benchmarks for Inhomogeneous Clouds and Comparisons with Approximate Methods. J. Climate, 24, 2192-2205.
- Taylor, P. C. and R. G. Ellingson, 2009: On the Use of Probability of Clear Line of Sight Models in Parameterizing Surface Downwelling Longwave Radiation in the Tropical Western Pacific, Current Problems in Atmospheric Radiation (IRS 2008): Proceedings of the International Radiation Symposium(IRC/IAMAS), Foz do Iguaçu (Brazil), 3-8 August 2008, ISBN: 978-0-7354-0635-3, American Institute of Physics Press. Teruyuki Nakajima and Marcia Akemi Yamasoe (Editors)
- Mechem, D. B., Y. L. Kogan, M. Ovtchinnikov, A. B. Davis, K. F. Evans, and R. G. Ellingson, 2008: Multi-Dimensional Longwave Forcing of Boundary Layer Cloud Systems, J. Atmos. Sci., 65, 3963-3977.
- Taylor P. C. and R. G. Ellingson, 2008: A study of the probability of clear line of sight through single-layer cumulus cloud fields in the tropical western pacific. J. Atmos. Sci., 65, 3497-3512.
- Lee, H.T., A. Gruber, R.G. Ellingson, and I. Laszlo, 2007: Development of the HIRS Outgoing Longwave Radiation Climate Dataset. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., 24, 2029-2047.
- Ma. Y. T. and R. G. Ellingson, 2006; Testing of Probability of Clear Line of Sight (PCLOS) Models for Cumulus Clouds with ARM Observations. Current Problems in Atmospheric Radiation 2004: Proceedings of the International Radiation Symposium 2004, DEEPAK Press. 35-38.
- Musat, I. C. and R. G. Ellingson, 2006: The use of the ARM WSI to Estimate the Atmospheric Optical Depth at Night. Current Problems in Atmospheric Radiation 2004: Proceedings of the International Radiation Symposium 2004, DEEPAK Press. 43-46.
- Takara, E. E. and R. G. Ellingson, 2006: Comparison of Longwave Effective Cloud Fraction with ARM Cloudiness Measurements. Current Problems in Atmospheric Radiation 2004: Proceedings of the International Radiation Symposium 2004, DEEPAK Press. 387-390.
- Three Dimensional Radiative Transfer, 2005: S, Marshak and A. Davis, editors, Chapter 10 - Longwave Radiative Transfer in Inhomogeneous Cloud Layers, Robert G. Ellingson and Ezra E. Takara, authors. Elsevier Press.
- Cahalan, R. F., L. Oreopoulos, A. Marshak, K. F. Evans, A. B. Davis, R. Pincus, K. H. Yetzer, B. Mayer, R. Davies, T. P. Ackerman, H. W. Barker, E. E. Clothiaux, R. G. Ellingson, M. J. Garay, E. Kassianov, S. Kinne, A. Macke, W. O'Hirok, P. T. Partain, S. M. Prigarin, A. N. Rublev, G. L. Stephens, F. Szczap, E. E. Takara, T. Varnai, G. Wen and T. B. Zhuravleva, 2005: Bringing together the most advanced radiative transfer tools for cloudy atmospheres. Bull. Amer. Metor. Soc., 86, 1275-1293.
- Turner, D. D., D. C. Tobin, S. A. Clough, P. D. Brown, R. G. Ellingson, E. J. Mlawer, R. O. Knuteson, H. E. Revercomb, T. R. Shippert, W. L. Smith, and M. Shepard, 2004: The QME AERI LBLRTM: A closure experiment for downwelling high spectral resolution infrared radiance. J. Atmos. Sci., 61, 2657-2675.
- Lee, H.-T., A. Heidinger, A. Gruber and R. G. Ellingson, 2004: The HIRS outgoing longwave radiation product from hybrid polar and geosynchronous satellite observations. Advances in Space Research, 33, 1120-1124.
- Ellingson, R. G. and M. Ba, 2003: A study of diurnal variation of OLR from GOES Sounder. J. Atmos. Ocean. Tech., 20, 90-98.
- Ba, M., R. G. Ellingson and A. Gruber, 2003: Validation of a technique for estimating OLR with the GOES sounder. J. Atmos. Ocean. Tech., 20, 79-89.
- Lee, H.-T., and R. G. Ellingson, 2002: Development of a non-linear statistical method for estimating the downward longwave radiation at the surface from satellite observations. J. Atmos. Ocean. Tech., 19, 1500-1515.