FSU-EOAS Students’ success stories

Mia Nowotarski and Kristie Dick, former and current Florida State University students in the Department of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Science, are the recent recipients of prestigious awards.

Mia Nowotarski, currently studying as a PhD student at the University of California, Santa Barbara, was awarded an NSF Graduate Student Research Fellowship.
According to her proposal, she will study the Posner clusters (PCs) involved in the production of bones. “Elucidating the fundamental properties of these PCs could be key to understanding the mineralization pathway of bone, thus rendering more superior bone material regeneration.” The Han lab, April 4th, 2020.
Read full article HERE.

Kristie Dick, a current REU student with Dr. Morton, was selected to participate in the 2020-2021 Fulbright U.S Student Program. Starting this August, she will work as an English teaching assistant in Taiwan for 11 months. Before pursuing a Ph.D. in Astrobiology, she will take time off from scientific research to focus on her communication skills. Specifically, she would like to learn Mandarin Chinese so she can better collaborate with other international scientists. She chose Taiwan because of its burgeoning tech scene and access to STEM fields.
“Making science accessible to all has become increasingly important to me as I’ve moved through my education, so I want to ensure that I have the skills to effectively communicate with others,” says Kristie.

Both Mia and Kristie participated in NSF-funded research projects at FSU and the MagLab, led by Dr. Peter Morton under the Research Experiences for Undergraduate program sponsored by NSF. The students were further supported by the EOAS Winchester Fund to participate in laboratory or field studies, as well as presenting their research findings at statewide and international conferences.

FSU and EOAS continue to be a great place for young students to start exploring their dreams.
“FSU attracts some of the best and brightest students, with diverse interests and goals. Both Kristie and Mia have unique career goals, but their REU experiences at the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory and FSU have given them the right education and practical experiences to help them succeed in whatever they pursue. I couldn’t be more proud of my university and my students, and I wish Kristie and Mia the best of luck in their graduate studies!” Says Professor Morton.

Pictures credits:
Kristie Dick
Han Research Lab, UCSB